Historical societies play an important role in protecting and preserving historical records, historical memorabilia and documentation. The Old Dundalk Society has since its inception,(1964) has been actively involved in acquiring relevant historical documents and artefacts related to the history of Dundalk Town. Many of the society’s artefacts have been donated by the general public, and friends of the society, while other items were purchased by the society at public auctions. Such collections give a wonderful insight into ‘past times’ long forgotten in Dundalk and help the public to interpret and visually see the relevance and practical use of artefacts on display. Many items from our collection (over a thousand )) can be viewed at the Louth County Museum in Dundalk and at the County Archives Ardee Road Dundalk (by appointment)
What’s in the Collection ?
The ODS collections of over a thousand historical and archaeological items acquired over many years by way of purchase and or donation and are currently in the safe keeping of the County Museum Dundalk. The collection includes old cannon balls, a painting of Castle Roche, a Royal Fusiliers ceremonial sword, various painting of local interest, memorabilia form former retail business’s that were once based in the town, a silver tea service and silver tray that was presented to the De La Salle brothers celebrating their 75 anniversary of the foundation of their schools in Dundalk in 1974. The latest addition to our collection (which will soon be given to the County Museum on loan) is the ships bell of the “Pride of Erin” a ship of Capt. Kelly who was drowned attempting to save the crew of the ill-fated “Mary Stoddard” which foundered in Dundalk Bay in April 1858.